- Recipe By: NDTV Food
- Recipe Servings: 2
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Cook Time: 40 mins
- Difficulty Level: Easy
Aromatic and delectable, Malabar chicken curry is a special Kerala-style chicken curry that is cooked in coconut oil and curry leaves followed by mustard seeds.
Ingredients Of Malabar Chicken Curry
- 3 Tbsp Coconut Oil
- 15-20 Curry leaves
- 1 tsp Coriander Powder
- 1 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1 tsp Black pepper powder
- 2 small Tomatoes (chopped)
- 2 medium Onions
- 3-4 Green Chillies
- 1 tbsp Ginger-garlic paste
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 500 gram Chicken Pieces
- to taste Salt
How to Make Malabar Chicken Curry
- 1.Heat oil in a pan, add chopped and sliced onions and fry until slightly brown. Keep stirring while frying. Once done, add curry leaves, green chillies followed by ginger-garlic paste. Fry again.
- 2.The next step is to add coriander powder, turmeric powder, Kashmiri red chilli powder, black pepper powder and mix everything well. Keep stirring for 2-3 minutes.
- 3.After that add chopped tomatoes, salt to taste, cover and cook again for 3-4 minutes or until tomatoes turn mushy.
- 4.Once done, add chicken, mix and cook on high heat for 5 minutes. Then add fresh coconut paste and water (To make coconut paste, add coconut and water in a blender and blend until smooth and consistent paste). Cover and cook for 5 minutes.
For tempering or tadka
- 1.heat coconut oil in another pan, add mustard seeds, green chillies and let them splutter for 5-6 seconds. Then add chopped coconut (fresh) along with shallots. Fry on medium heat until the onion turns slightly brown.
- 2.Pour the chicken tadka on the chicken curry and your delish is ready to relish.
- 3.Serve with parotta, steamed rice and even tandoori paratha along with lime quarters and of course onion rings.
Coconut Oil, Curry leaves, Coriander Powder, Turmeric Powder, Red Chilli Powder, Black pepper powder, Tomatoes (chopped), Onions, Green Chillies, Ginger-garlic paste, Mustard Seeds, Chicken Pieces, Salt